The second annual Sitka Seafood Festival takes place on Friday and Saturday, May 20-21, at Harrigan Centennial Hall and Crescent Harbor. There are many kid-friendly outdoor events as part of this festival, especially on Saturday (check the video link).
The festival opens at 6 p.m. on Friday with the opening banquet dinner at Harrigan Centennial Hall. This event features a formal atmosphere with various local chefs collaborating, each showcasing a separate course. It also introduces our guest chefs — Louisa Chu, chef and writer from Chicago, and our returning guest chef Robert Kinneen from Anchorage. There will be a live music performance by Ray Troll and the Rat Fish Wranglers during dinner, as well as a silent auction and other entertainment. Tickets are available at Old Harbor Books for $50.
The fun continues on Saturday, with a full schedule of events at Harrigan Centennial Hall, Crescent Harbor Shelter and back parking area. Events include:
- 11 AM: Maritime-themed parade
- Vendor booths including food, educational and entertainment booths, kids games and prizes, knot tying classes, beer garden, live music by many local bands, or anyone interested in showcasing seafood/maritime-related items (for more info, contact Christi Wuerker at 738-9047)
- Kids and adult art workshop with Ray Troll (limited number of openings, to sign up, call Alicia Olson at 928-607-4845)
- GingerLee, Aerial silk dancer performances by Jenn Perry
- USCG Aids to Navigation Team vessel tours
- Local New Archangel Russian dance and Naa Kahídi Tlingít dance performances
- US Coast Guard helicopter rescue demonstration
- Cooking demonstration by guest chef Louisa Chu
- Fish-filleting demos on the hour, every hour starting at noon, as well as rockfish identifying contests
- Fish-head-tossing contest, tote races, crab races and fish-head-bobbing contests
- 5-6PM: Fish Poetry at Kettleson Memorial Library (More info: Jeff Budd at the Greater Sitka Arts Council)
- 8-11PM: Live music and dance with Ray Troll and the Ratfish Wranglers opening and the headliner band Wicked Tinkers (Tickets $20 at Old Harbor Books: more info available through Sitka Folk)
To learn more, go to http://www.sitkaseafoodfestival.org/, or contact Alicia Olson at 928- 607-4845 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.