Highlights of the week include a photo contest, a Junior Ranger scavenger hunt with Flat Stanley, Earth Day activities, a candlelight tour of the Russian Bishop’s House, and tide-pooling with a ranger. This week also is a free-admission week for national parks, which makes it an especially good week to get the kids outdoors. Here is a complete list of activities for the week:
• Week of April 21-29 — Picture Yourself in a Park. Have you got some great snapshots of you, your family or friends enjoying themselves in a national park? If so, consider sharing those photographs with Sitka National Historical Park. Send us an image of you in any one our national parks along with a caption and we will post it on the park’s official Facebook page. Submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Saturday, April 21 — Junior Ranger Scavenger Hunt. The park kicks off National Park Week with a Flat Stanley Junior Ranger scavenger hunt from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 21. Pick up a scavenger hunt worksheet at the Sitka National Historical Park Visitor Center and search for the Flat Stanleys hidden around the park. Curious about Flat Stanley? Learn more about this popular children’s program at http://www.flatstanley.com/.
• Sunday, April 22 — Earth Day. Come watch or participate in the Sitka Conservation Society’s 11th annual Parade of Species. Parade participants are invited to dress as their favorite animal or plant and join the parade at Totem Square at 2:00 p.m. Afterward, the celebration continues at the Rasmuson Center (on Sheldon Jackson Campus) with interactive games and activities from 3:00-4:30 p.m. For more information: http://sitkawild.org/2012/03/parade-of-species-2012/
• Monday, April 23 — Candlelight Tour of Russian Bishop’s House. Join park staff for a special pseudo-candlelight tour of the Russian Bishop’s House at 8:45 p.m. on Monday, April 23. Please note, this program will begin at the Russian Bishop’s House. Space is limited, so call 907-747-0110 to make your reservation.
• Thursday, April 26 — Tide-Pooling with a Ranger. Hit the beach and go in search of purple shore crabs, anemones, and sea stars! Staff from the park and the Sitka Sound Science Center invites you to stop by the visitor center at 9:15 a.m. for a fun-filled morning of story time and tide pooling. This family activity is suitable for all ages. Space is limited, so call 907-747-0110 to make your reservation.