Registration for the 2015 summer camps hosted by the Sitka Sound Science Center now is open. There are five camps available this summer for children from grades 1-8.
Check out the summer camp portion of center’s website for more information and to register. The camp descriptions are posted below. Online registration is through cvent, which is linked on the left and on the summer camp page of the center’s website. These camps are going to be a ton of fun.
Sign up will again be through Cvent, our new online event registration form. Each of the four camps for grades 1-2 and grades 3-4 is $85 for the week and includes a daily snack. The two-week Oceans to Alpine Adventure camp for grades 6-8 is $255.
2015 Summer Camps
Grade ranges indicate what grade the camper will be in this coming fall. Camps are filled on a first-come, first-served basis and limited space is available. Camps will include snack, and many camps will involve field trips to other locations via bus or walking.
- Water, Water Everywhere Camp – From the rainforest to the ocean, Sitka is ruled by water. Come explore why water is the most amazing and unique substance in the universe. From the power of water to its beauty and all of the characteristics in between, we’ll sink our curiosity together. Grades: 1-2. Dates: June 8-12 Times: 9 a.m. to noon. Instructor: Ashley Bolwerk
- Ooey Gooey Camp – In this camp we’ll feel our way from the animal kingdom to human inventions in search of the slimiest, gooiest, and coolest substances on Earth. This camp is for kids looking to take “hands-on” exploration to a whole new level. Grades: 1-2. Dates: June 15-19. Times: 9 a.m. to noon. Instructor: Ashley Bolwerk.
- Energy Ambassadors – We’ve come a long way from the days of cavemen, especially in our ability to capture and use energy. Imagine your life without lights, television, or heat! Come explore the science behind big energy ideas that are revolutionizing the world. We’ll experiment with engineering as we create our own power and tour Sitka’s energy sources. Grades: 3-5. Dates: June 22-26. Times: 9 a.m. to noon. Instructor: Ashley Bolwerk.
- Wild Sitka Explorers Camp – Become a budding naturalist this summer with Wild Sitka Explorers Camp. Capture, identify, and eat a variety of local plants and critters as you venture through the ecosystems of Sitka. Learn to observe with science eyes through games, journals, nature writing and drawing. This camp will meet at different locations each day to maximize time for exploration. Grades: 3-5. Dates: July 13-17. Times: 9 a.m. to noon. Instructors: Andrea Pitz and Sarah Komisar.
- Oceans to Alpine Adventure Camp – Want to get outside to explore and build outdoor skills this summer? So do we! Join us for a series of adventures from the ocean to the alpine. We’ll pick up some handy outdoor tricks along the way, and meet some amazing people who make a living outside. This camp will meet in the mornings the first week for mini adventures close to town, and take on an all-day approach for some more extensive challenges the second week. Camp cost includes all equipment (except personal gear like a rain gear, water bottle, etc), lunch/snack, and transportation. Grades: 6-8. Dates and Times: June 29-July 3, 9 a.m. to noon; July 6-10, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Instructors: Ashley Bolwerk, Margot O’Connell, and guest speakers.
If a camp is full and you want to get an email if a spot becomes available or for more information, please email Ashley Bolwerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.